Skip to main content

The Final Stretch

 We have about 450 nm to go in a straight line, but probably closer to 550 nm depending on the wind over the next few days. Given that weather forecasting isn't an exact science, even 24 hours out, getting the detailed timing right is tricky. The front looks as though it will/has mostly pass south of us, leaving us right on its northern edge. We should then get around 18 hours of westerly wind before it swings around to the south and stays there for the rest of the passage.

     A first glimpse of NZ this morning - The                               Kermadecs

Our current course is designed to give us a better angle into the Bay of Islands once the southerlies arrive. As things are looking at the moment, we should be able to make it into Opua without having to sail too hard on the wind, which would be a welcome after all the weather-watching and route planning of the last few days.

The weather over the last 24 hours was pretty much flat calm, so we motored south using both engines. The idea was to make as much progress as possible while we had the opportunity, rather than end up having to beat our brains out for the final leg. I don't normally use both engines, as it's inefficient and burns through the fuel faster, but this is one of those occasions when a little extra speed could make all the difference. If we can get far enough south before the wind turns, we should have a much better chance of making Opua without having to tack our way up the coast.

I'm not getting too carried away just yet. But for the first time in a few days, the route ahead is looking reasonably manageable.

We'll keep watching the weather, make the most of the conditions we have and see if we can get ourselves into the Bay of Islands without too much drama. And then we have the final hurdle - bio security.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...