Well, Ocean Breeze is tied up in the quarantine area of Mackay Marina as we wait for ABF to come and do the clearance. We were just informed that ABF won’t be here until the afternoon, so we have some time to clear up. Biosecurity will be here early tomorrow morning, I hope, so we can get the boat put into a berth, have a night’s rest and then go to the airport so I can do the whole thing again on a Lagoon 450 from Tahiti. The blog was skipped yesterday as morale wasn’t as high as it should have been when approaching land. From the entrance to Hydrographers Passage to the marina is around 90 nm, so it’s a fair hike. The first section of Hydrographers Passage was pretty uncomfortable, with waves and spray, but we had the current with us, which gave us a nice push in the right direction. Unfortunately, the current was opposing the tide, so it picked the waves up. We got through the narrowest section before the tide turned against us and then had several slow hours with u...
It’s been pretty breezy since yesterday, with gusts over 30 knots and waves coming over the back of the boat into the cockpit. My socks got wet which was annoying. There are some very impressive waves, but it’s impossible to take a photo of a wave because they always look four times smaller in a photograph. You end up with a picture that makes it look like you’re sailing on a slightly choppy lake. The weather has impacted our arrival time into Mackay Q berth for clearance with ABF, and it’s now looking like Saturday evening around 7pm, so I have no idea if ABF will clear us then. I suspect we will have to wait until the following day. I had been expecting over 10 birds to turn up, and around sunset they started flying around the boat, no doubt eyeing up a spot to land while looking for a snack before they turned in for the night. And then they all disappeared. We didn’t have any birds. I was pleased about this. We have had to reef the headsail very heavily as the wind is al...