Skip to main content

Reef, or no reef?

 We’ve been running off the wind, with it sitting around 130 degrees apparent and occasionally coming around to 100 degrees, in 20–25 knots of breeze. The forecasts are largely similar, other than the ECMWF showing more wind, which is always nice to see when you’re trying to decide how much sail to leave up.

I had been thinking about putting in the third reef, and yesterday at sunset I was having a look outside. There was a large patch of rain and squalls over to our starboard side, the sky was grey and looking behind didn’t look much better, and the wind was sitting at 22–25 knots.


I was humming and hawing.

There is an old sailors’ saying that if you think you should reef, then it’s probably too late already. And then there it was — a gust of 27 knots, which convinced me.

So, with the third reef in the main and back on course just after sunset, we settled in for a gusty night.

There is another sailors’ saying which, in this case, is probably more applicable than the one about reefing: “Don’t listen to old sailors’ sayings.”

The wind gradually eased off to 24, then 20, and was dropping off to 18 at times throughout the night. So at first light this morning I pulled the third reef out and we are cracking on again with two reefs in the main and the headsail, sitting at around 7.5 - 8 knots with 19 to 24 knts of breeze.

Yesterday we did 49 nm in six hours, from 06:00 to midday, but the third reef last night slowed us down and brought the average down.

I also noticed yesterday that there was something dragging behind the boat. I wondered if we had perhaps picked up a fishing line or some other piece of garbage and went to investigate.

I was a little concerned to discover it was the painter for the liferaft. The liferaft is fitted under the aft deck and is exposed to the waves. I guess some large waves had pulled the painter free of the housing and it was still tied onto the rail with a big loop of line trailing in the water. It would have needed a fairly strong tug to inflate the raft, but it’s not really something I wanted to risk finding out about halfway to New Zealand.

So that has now been secured, the third reef is out, and we’re back to making some decent miles.

Its definitely a little cooler already but the sun is shining today and its looking like a typical day in the tropics with blue sky and white fluffy clouds. Its fine if it stays like this all the way to NZ.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...