Skip to main content

A Quieter Day

 The winds we had last night started to ease off and then steadily died away during the day, until we were motoring from around 1pm. This actually worked out quite well, as it gave the seas a chance to settle down. It had been pretty messy, with plenty of crashing and banging going on, although the upside was that we were making good speed during the night.


There was a long band of dark grey cloud to the south this morning that looked rather ominous, but it gradually dissipated as the day went on. Around 4pm, the breeze picked up again to 15–20 knots, but unfortunately it was coming from directly behind us, pushing us a little further south of the rhumb line than we'd like.

The forecasts are showing the wind picking up again in a few days, possibly with some southerly in it, which would be ideal and help us get back on track.

It is getting a little chilly, though. I wouldn't mind some more wind from the south, but I'd prefer not to have to dig out the jacket and hat again. 

The GFS is still showing a low-pressure system developing near Fiji, although it keeps pushing it further back in the forecast. I’m keeping an eye on it, but I’m not too stressed about it at the moment. There’s still plenty of time for things to change, and as we’ve learned on previous passages this year, the forecasts can keep us guessing right up until the last minute.

All is well on board as we continue getting to know our latest ride, and we're making steady progress west.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Brisbane - Clearance Was a Nightmare

  Well, we are finally tied up safely in Sanctuary Cove , concluding the Horizon PC52 delivery. But before we celebrate the completion of the voyage, let me backtrack and detail the Australian arrival experience. The final run down the Queensland coast was based on a forecast persistently showing 30 knots of North-Westerly wind . Our strategic swing worked perfectly: we kept going further east toward Bundaberg, then turned sharply south, giving us a far more comfortable angle on the waves and a safe run into the Brisbane River. We tied up to the fuel dock in the marina, as the dedicated quarantine dock (Q-dock) was occupied. And this is when the trouble started. The Australian Border Force (ABF) informed the marina that the fuel dock was now strictly out of bounds to everyone while we were tied up for quarantine. Now, that has nothing to do with me, right? Wrong. Apparently, it was entirely my fault. For the next 18 exhausting hours , we were the inadvertent roadblock. Commercial ...