Skip to main content

Warmer

Yesterday was pretty reasonable conditions, with the apparent wind sitting at around 10 to 12 knots all day and never really shifting from 150 degrees apparent. We sat at 4.5 to 5 knots the whole day and were going almost the right way.

The forecast is looking good right through the entire model run on both the GFS and ECMWF.

Today was going to be engine maintenance day, as it's forecast for the wind to die down, and I don't really like going into the engine room at sea. Not just because it's small, cramped and difficult to work in with the boat moving around on waves, but lifting up the hatch to go into the engine room, no matter how hard you try to time it, is going to be the exact moment a wave goes over the back of the boat and straight down the hatch.  With the conditions looking relatively calm, it's also a good chance to have a proper look around rather than just dealing with anything that needs attention as it comes up. I'll check the engines, belts, fluids, cooling systems and the various pumps and fittings, as well as generally looking for anything that has worked loose or changed since we left. A few days of sailing also gives you a much better idea of what is normal for the boat and what isn't.

The GRIBs are showing we may get a few days of calm, so it's a good opportunity to check that everything down below is working.

At least it's warmed up a bit, as it was definitely not too tropical a few days ago.



We saw a lot of sea life in the first 36 hours, but that has turned into zero other than the occasional bunch of flying fish. I don't know if we've sailed into a particularly empty bit of ocean or if everything has just decided we're not worth investigating. Even the birds have disappeared, so apparently there is nothing of interest happening out here.


Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...