Skip to main content

There's the line!

Well, we are almost over the line! It's taken a while to get this far, dodging cyclones, making boat repairs in remote locations, and dealing with all the hiccups and issues that inevitably pop their heads up on trips like this. It's a testament to the resilience of both the crew and the boat (and the skipper's ability to MacGyver solutions!).

To give you an idea of how close we are to the end of our resources, I'm down to less than 10 cable ties and probably less than two meters of duct tape! So its pretty tight. And I've got just enough oil left for maybe one more gearbox oil change. I did the starboard one last night, and that gave me enough confidence to increase the RPMs by a few hundred. I'll do the port one shortly, top off the starboard one with the last of the heavy gear oil, and that should get us up the river.

I'm no expert on emulsified oil or sail drives, but it seems like the oil still has a lot of its lubricating properties. The sail drives aren't running hot and aren't being driven hard, so I'm thinking that with a good rinse out, they'll be as good as "new." Which, coincidentally, isn't really an issue for this boat, as both the engines are being replaced next month anyway. So, we're just nursing them to the finish line.

Last time we were in Port Vila at this time of year on another delivery, we had similar issues with things breaking down and trying to get them fixed. And then, to top it all off, we got hit with two category 4 cyclones in three days (Kevin and Judy)! So, all things considered, we got away lightly this time.

It's a strange feeling, this mix of relief and accomplishment as you near the end of a long passage. You're eager to arrive, but there's also a sense of having conquered something. And in this case, we've definitely conquered a few challenges along the way!


I was trying to have a relaxing last night at sea! 

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...