Skip to main content

Water Surprises, Squalls, and Steering Clear of Politics

One of the fantastic things of travelling so much is picking up bits and pieces of different languages along the way. This morning, for example, I learned that "eau gazeuse" means sparkling water in French. Wish I'd figured that out before using it for my coffee, but hey, live and learn, right? Luckily we only have 6 more bottles of it. Unluckily that's the last of the bottled water on board.

On a completely different note, this blog seems like it's the only corner of the internet that isn't obsessed with the latest antics of, shall we say, certain political figures. I won't name names, but one of them is orange, and let's just say their questionable actions are enough to make anyone reach for the "eau gazeuse."

Speaking of things that make you want a stiff drink, we had another monster squall roll through yesterday afternoon. It seems they're a regular afternoon feature around here. The good news is that you can see them coming, so you have time to prepare. This one brought an unwelcome wind shift, though. We've had close to 20 knots blowing almost straight out of Apia ever since, so we're motor-sailing with one engine and a reefed main, making about 6 knots. Its definitely better than trying to claw our way upwind, which, let's face it, nobody enjoys and we'd be another 35 degrees off course rather than going almost the exact way which is what we are doing now. As things stand we will be in Apia late morning tomorrrorw and hopefully tied up in the marina shortly afterwards. The authorities have all been notified, the pre arrival paperwork has been completed and sent to them and we even had confirmation they received it which was unusual.

The GFS (Windy premium version, of course!) is still showing a bit of a low developing by Fiji for the middle of next week – and for clarity by next week I mean around the 11th. Or else it's a bit like when someone says take the next left and you do, and they say, "Why did you turn? I said the next left!" But anyway, it's not looking as dramatic now. Fingers crossed it stays that way! We have to go one step at a time and I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. First things first, we need to get to Apia, then get everything ready for the next leg. Things have a way of falling into place when you take it one step at a time. Plus we have to put the clocks back as its 6am and completly black with not even a hint of sunrise on the way. I will do that in Samoa or else it will alter the watches and then I will chnage them again just before we leave.

Until next time, I'll be enjoying the (hopefully) calmer weather and brushing up on my Samoan vocabulary - do they have sparkling water there?

This picture was taken in happier, easier times, when life seemed simpler, the wind was lighter and from behind. Yesterday.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...