Skip to main content

Premium or Basic

Well, the weather out here has been keeping me on my toes, that's for sure! I feel like I'm constantly checking the forecasts, trying to stay one step ahead of any surprises. It can get a bit obsessive, I admit.

One thing I learned recently is the difference between Windy Basic and Windy Premium. Turns out that premium version adds an extra layer of terror! It showed a cyclone forming near Fiji on the 10th that wasn't even on the basic version. It makes you realize how important it is to have good information when you're planning a passage, especially a longer one. Thankfully, the long-range forecast is looking a bit calmer now, but there's still a low near Fiji around the 7th that I'm keeping an eye on.

We had a bit of excitement yesterday afternoon with a big squall that blew through with over 35 knots of wind and rain. Since then, it's been pretty calm, though the wind started shifting to the west last night. That's probably the influence of that low by Fiji, so I'm hoping to get to Apia before it gets too strong as even light headwinds will make a huge difference to our speed and track. And comfort.

We've got a few jobs to do when we get to Apia, besides the usual fuel and water top-up. I think the starboard engine battery might need replacing, and there's a water tank cap that needs to be secured a bit better. It wasnt the best fit and a little loose before we left but the sloshing around pushed the plastic lid off and some water spilled out. I am not overly concerned about spilling some water but I would hate for it to get contaminated with salt.  Oh, and there's a light fitting on the mast that needs some attention. Nothing too major, thankfully, but it's good to keep on top of these things.

Life out here is definitely a mix of routine and unexpected challenges. You have to be adaptable and ready for anything!

Anyway, we're making good progress towards Apia, and I'm looking forward to a bit of a break from the weather watching (and hopefully some decent sleep!). The longer term forcast definitely seems to be looking more stable and I am hoping it stays like that. I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Its still very light but the angle is not filling me with joy.


Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...