Skip to main content

OTW

We're back on the move after a rather eventful pit stop in Samoa! Getting those engines running again turned into a bit of an adventure. Finding the problem was one thing, but finding a solution on a small South Pacific island? That was a whole other ballgame.

Everyone was incredibly helpful and cheerful, but sourcing the parts I needed was a real challenge. Let me tell you, it was a proper treasure hunt. For example, I went on a massive tour of all the car parts places. In one, I counted 17 people waiting to be served! When I finally got to the front, I asked for 6mm fuel hose. They had some! But when the guy came back, he had a piece about a foot long. I knew what the answer was going to be but felt I had to ask "Is that a sample?", and he said, "No, this is the fuel hose we have." I ended up finding filter housings in a diving shop, but they didn't have the barb fittings to connect the hoses. You get the picture.

Adding to our list of accomplishments in Samoa, we also devoted a considerable amount of time to getting the AIS system up and running more efficiently. Previously, the longest return we were getting was only 2 nautical miles, which, let's be honest, isn't really practical for any serious navigation. After a series of tense negotiations and a bit of persistence, we finally managed to get someone with a soldering iron down to the boat. The results are in: we're now getting AIS returns of at least 7-10 nautical miles, which is a significant improvement and a much-needed peace of mind.

The weather wasn't exactly cooperative while we were there either. The low south of Fiji was pulling in wind and moisture like crazy. One night, we had winds up to 37 knots and pouring rain. Now, in a typical marina, that wouldn't be a huge deal. But the docks here were held together with ratchet tie-downs, and some of the piles were leaning over at alarming angles, the marina manager said we should be carefull in case the pile fell on the boat. There were only three other yachts in the marina, and two of them already had holes smashed in their bows from the surge and current, hitting the dock in previous bad weather. So, it was a relief to get out of there and get back to what we're supposed to be doing.

The long-term weather is looking "interesting." The general wind direction and strength look pretty good, but we've got another Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) rolling through soon. I was hoping to be between this one and the last one, of course. And the CAPE index is "in the red" for the next week, so I'm expecting lots of squalls and thunderstorms. But hopefully, the wind will be from the right direction this time, unlike our approach to Samoa when we got blown backwards all night. We have around 10 days to Port Vila and then the final run through the Coral Sea and it really feels as though we are over the hump now.


The CAPE Index. So probably some unsettled tropical weather with rain and squalls m

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...