Skip to main content

Blair Delivery Project

We've left Fiji behind now, and we're well on our way to Port Vila from Samoa, and, for those keeping track, about two-thirds of the way from Raiatea to Brisbane. We've got both engines running now, which is helping us eat up the miles. Every little bit counts.

I'll admit, I was a little jittery after spotting that mysterious fishing boat the other night. The story about the deserted vessel, the one with no crew and a bloody handprint, kept replaying in my mind. It's easy to dismiss those tales as just that—tales—but out here, with nothing but the vast ocean around you, they tend to take on a life of their own, and sailors are a superstitious bunch.

Yesterday, just after dawn I was doing my usual checks, wandering around the deck and cockpit, making sure everything was in its place. With that story still lingering in my thoughts.

Then, I saw it. Something near the bathing ladder. I bent over to take a closer look, and there was no doubt. A bloody palm print on the back of the boat! Arrrrgggh!

We're making good progress, and the engines are running smoothly. I'm trying to focus on the miles ahead, and the fact that we're getting closer to Port Vila with each passing hour.  And the predicted thunderstorms didn't amount to anything. Once or twice the sky has started to go dark but nothing happened and we have had the occasional sprinkling of rain to take the heat off.

Wildlife-wise, it's been pretty quiet. A few birds circling overhead, and the occasional flying fish skimming the surface. But that's about it. It's actually a little unusual – we haven't had a single flying fish land on the boat, nor any squid ink squirted around, which is a welcome change. I've had a bit of a history with flying fish, you see. They seem to be inexplicably drawn to me. I've often wondered if I emit some sort of irresistible pheromone, making me some kind of flying fish sex god. Either way, I'm just relieved that the curse seems to have been lifted. I certainly don't miss having to clean flying fish from my sheets at 2 a.m after one has come shooting through my open hatch. It's just more peaceful out here without them crashing the party.



Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...