Skip to main content

Making Miles

Well, yesterday turned out to be a pretty solid day on the water. We managed a respectable 146 nautical miles in 24 hours. Now, I'll be honest, we did get a bit of a push from one of the Yanmars to bump those numbers up. But hey, as long as we're heading in the right direction, I'm not complaining. Every mile counts, right?

One of the more… creative projects we tackled yesterday was the stove situation. With the wind dead astern, it was blowing a lot of the heat away from the pot. And look, I love a good cup of coffee as much as the next sailor, but waiting an eternity for the water to boil?  I considered closing the saloon doors, but it’s just too hot. And firing up the generator just to get the air-con going, because the saloon door is closed? That felt a bit excessive.

So, necessity being the mother of invention, we came up with a… let’s call it a "bespoke" wind shield. Picture this: an 8-liter water bottle, securely tied to the stove frame, with a large chopping board strapped to the bottle. It's not winning any beauty awards, I'll admit. But you know what? It works. And that’s the important thing. Waiting ten minutes for boiling water for a coffee puts me in such a bad mood I barely want the coffee by the time the water has boiled. Of course I drink it - but grumpily. 

We had a few heavy rain showers last night, which would have been perfect for washing off all the salt that's accumulated. But typical. Not a single splash on deck since we left. The last time this boat was wet was back in Raiatea and that was rain, which feels like a lifetime ago.

The wind has been a bit of a tease over the past 24 hours. We hoisted the main yesterday, but we were having to go so far off course just to keep moving that it really wasn’t worth it. There were moments when it looked like the wind was going to pick up, but it was just a hope. After a very calm night, we’ve finally got around 10 knots from the north this morning, which is giving us a bit of a push with the headsail out. It’s not much, but it’s something. And even as I write its easing off to 6 to 7 knts.

It's amazing how the little things become so important out here. Simple things like getting a hot drink quickly, or a bit of wind to help us along.

Anyway, onwards we go. Let's see what the next 24 hours bring. Hopefully, more miles.


Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...