Skip to main content

Day 3?

Things are going smoothly, and we're settling into the watch routine. We're currently doing 4 hours off and 4 hours on, which is a bit of a change for me. I'm used to doing 3 on, 3 off. It's a tricky balance, really. Four hours is a long time to be sitting around on watch, especially when it's pitch black and all you can hear is the wind and the waves. But then again, it also means a fantastic amount of sleep. On the other hand, 3 hours on watch doesn't seem too bad, but you always feel like a bit of extra sleep would be amazing.

Another option, of course, would be to have extra crew, but that changes the whole onboard dynamic. There would be five personalities to juggle, and things could get interesting! As it is, I have three personalities to manage, so the two crew hopefully would only have one each to deal with.

I was on watch last night, and it was one of those incredibly clear nights, with a million stars blazing overhead. I was just scanning the horizon when suddenly, there it was: a light. Big and red, hanging just above the horizon to the west. It was so bright and clear, it almost felt like it was right in front of the boat, and I was trying to process what I was looking at - it was a star. It's probably time to put the clocks back an hour as it's 6 am and completely dark, but I may wait until we get to Samoa.                                                        

Starlink proves its worth once again, and I have downloaded all the forms needed to clear into Samoa and have the email address for the advance notification. Starlink is great, but sometimes I wonder if I should be rigging up a backup. You know, just in case things go sideways with the whole Elon Musk situation and he sends me an email asking what I did last week.

The long-term weather forecast hasn't really changed, which is good in a way because it helps with planning the route. But I had honestly expected that low-pressure system near Fiji on the 3rd to vanish by now from the forecast. It's still showing up on both the GFS and ECMWF models and has been there for days. The wind remains very light and directly astern, so we're still relying on the headsail and the Yanmar to keep us moving. We're making pretty good time, though. We managed 137 nautical miles in 24 hours yesterday! And, of course, we're enjoying the benefits of being on a catamaran – it's such a nice, stable platform to be at sea on, and there is a huge benefit in light winds because the boat doesn't rock and make the sails bang so you can be sailing more efficiently in light air.


Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...