Skip to main content

Barry Crocker

Yesterday definitely was a bit of a shocker! I don't know what was worse – the 30+ knot winds, pouring rain, the endless stream of fishing boats, the contrary current, long lines, or the headwinds that seemed determined to push us back to where we started. It was a challenging combination, to say the least.

The current was particularly tricky. Depending on our tack, it would either shave off a couple of knots from our speed or push us significantly off course, sometimes by as much as 30 degrees. With the low visibility, it was difficult to determine if all the fishing boats were equipped with AIS as we couldn't see them, but the long lines and buoys certainly weren't, making for a few tense encounters as they materialized out of the rain and from behind waves.

Our best tack saw us heading north until we were close to the coast, where we tacked in just 10 meters of water. After tacking, it was a case of seeing which way the current was going to let us head, which ended up being southwest so not ideal. We were somewhat at the mercy of the wind and current, but thankfully, overnight the wind shifted to the northwest, allowing us to follow it around and make some progress west.

The forecast predicts westerlies, and we currently have northwesterlies, so we're not sure what to expect today. We anticipate more tacking and a northerly course later. The strong currents in this area, which can reach over 2 knots at times, add another layer of tacitcs to our navigation, but we're keeping a close eye on things and adjusting our strategy as needed.

I have to admit, I'm feeling a little envious of my good friend Gary, a skipper extraordinaire who's currently heading the opposite way on a 60ft Granocean power catamaran. His reports of "poor weather" just mean he has to ease back on the RPMs a little to make the ride more comfortable, all while sitting in a captain's chair in air-conditioned comfort in the pilot house. If I have my way his next delivery is going to be an H28 to Hobart.





Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...