Skip to main content

Finally Moving Forward

We splashed the boat on Wednesday, eager to finally trade the shipyard for the open water. As with any boat project, a few unexpected "gremlins" decided to hitch a ride – those pesky little problems that always seem to reveal themselves after a period out of the water. Even though the haul out was unexpected it was very productive. 

The weather reports haven't exactly been cooperating, throwing some long-range turbulence our way. Undeterred, we've set a course eastward towards the Torres Strait. This route takes us south of the Indonesian islands, keeping us well clear of the heavy traffic in the Java Sea. An added bonus? The islands should offer some welcome shelter from any rough seas brewing on the horizon.

Our plan is flexible. We'll keep an eye on the weather and adjust course as needed. Ideally, the lowwill clear in the Torres Strait later next week, allowing for a smooth passage. However, if things take a turn for the worse, we're happy to pull into a safe harbor and wait for calmer conditions.

Stay tuned for updates as we navigate our way towards this iconic waterway. We'll be sharing the sights, the challenges, and maybe even a few encounters with some marine life.
On the dock in Medana Bay. 

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure Begins

Location: Departing Denarau, Fiji And so it begins! The journey from Fiji to Southport is officially underway. I arrived in Fiji yesterday and had a fantastic handover from Karl, the boat's owner. It was a proper, detailed session, which is always a treat and makes the whole process so much smoother. It's rare to get a handover at all so that level of thoroughness was a huge help and saved a lot of time, and I'm very grateful for it—it makes a huge difference to a delivery skipper. This morning was all about final preparations. We filled the tanks with a massive 15,000 litres of duty-free fuel. By midday, customs and immigration were on board to complete the paperwork, and with their stamp of approval, we were good to go. The moment you first take the helm of a new boat is always a mix of excitement and a little bit of nerves. No matter how much you've been briefed, you're never quite sure how she'll handle. Will she respond to the helm? How will she behave in t...

Motoring

We've officially crossed the halfway point on our journey to Darwin, and things are looking good. The weather continues to cooperate, offering us smooth motoring so far. However, forecasts predict a shift in wind direction sometime tomorrow, with easterlies potentially changing our arrival time. The stronger the easterlies, the later we'll pull into Darwin. It's going to be time to transfer fuel later and the only pump available in Singapore was a rickety, hand-cranked contraption that leaked like a sieve . Transferring fuel has been a nightmare. It turned a simple task into a full-blown mission, complete with showers for everyone involved afterwards and a thorough boat cleaning session. Thankfully, things are much different now. Thanks to Rhona's keen eye, we snagged a fantastic electric transfer pump in Lombok. This beauty is a dream come true – just two hoses and a simple switch, and we can effortlessly pump 250 liters of fuel in a matter of minutes! Needless to say,...

Racing the Clock to Brisbane

                          A ship at 2.5nm  We are now officially heading south down the coast of Queensland, and while I know Australia must be somewhere to our starboard side, it’s currently impossible to tell in this persistent gloom. It’s that final, stage of a long passage where the land is close, but not quite visible. The good news is the wind didn't increase as much as the forecast suggested. We're still getting some movement, but I am certainly pleased to be getting some shelter from the vast landmass now. In fact, I'm especially happy the wind stayed mild, as I washed the boat down a few days ago, and I'd been bracing for the PC52 to be immediately caked in salt again. A small victory to end a long journey! Now, the final stressful race: clearance. It's touch and go whether we can get cleared in today, and honestly, it’s looking a little doubtful. We still have around 70 nautical miles to cover, a...